If you’re a senior, the Farmers Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) is a great way to get fresh fruits and vegetables without having to spend your hard-earned money. Seniors ages 60 and older are eligible to receive $25 in FMNP vouchers for fresh fruits and vegetables at participating farmers markets. Seniors can apply for FMNP at the same time they apply for SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), or they can apply separately. Vouchers are available throughout the entire summer until funds run out.
All seniors ages 60 and older are eligible to receive $25 in Farmers Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) vouchers for fresh fruits and vegetables. If you are currently receiving SNAP benefits, you may apply for the FMNP at the same time. You can also apply separately for FMNP by contacting your local farmers market directly or by visiting Farmers Market Nutrition Program website.
The application process is simple:
- Click on one of our links to fill out an online application form
- Print out the completed form and bring it with you when you visit the farmers market
Seniors can apply for FMNP vouchers at the same time they apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
Here’s how it works:
- You can apply for FMNP at the same time you apply for SNAP, also known as “food stamps.” It’s part of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which helps low-income people buy food.
- To apply, you need a copy of your most recent tax return along with any other documents that prove your income. You can find out what documentation is required by contacting your local Department of Human Services (DHS) office or by calling 1-800-772-1213.
- Once approved, you’ll get an EBT card in the mail so you can use it at farmers markets where vendors accept SNAP benefits.
Seniors can also apply separately for FMNP.
In addition to applying for VFMNP, seniors can also apply separately for FMNP. To do this, you must call 1-800-847-3663 or sign up online at www.fmcp.usda.gov. You can also apply at your local farmers market on specified dates and times (typically once a month).
FMNP vouchers are distributed at participating senior centers, public housing sites, senior service organizations, and other designated sites.
You can get FMNP vouchers at participating senior centers, public housing sites, senior service organizations, and other designated sites. If you are not sure if the location where you are applying is a participating site, check with them ahead of time. To find a list of all eligible sites in your area, go to www.fns.usda.gov/snap/where-to-apply?state=IL&zip=60601&radius=-1&searchType=all and search for “Illinois” under the dropdown menu on the left side of the page labeled “State” then select “Senior Centers” from that same dropdown menu (see image below).
The application process for FMNP is simple: complete an application form at your local SNAP office; provide proof of age (for example birth certificate or social security card); provide proof of residency (for example driver’s license or utility bill); provide proof that you receive SSI benefits or Social Security Disability Insurance (for example letter from Social Security).
If you do not currently receive SNAP benefits but would like assistance applying for food stamp benefits please see our guide on how to apply for food stamps in Illinois
Vouchers are available throughout the entire summer until funds run out. There are a limited number of vouchers, so your best bet is to apply as soon as you can. Vouchers can be used at any time during the summer and never expire! The amount varies depending on where you live, but for example, in California, it’s $25 for a voucher and in Texas, it’s $50.
If you’re a senior and your income is limited, the Farmers Market Nutrition Program can help you get more healthful food. The program provides vouchers to buy fresh fruits and vegetables that may not be within your budget otherwise. This summer, millions of seniors will have access to these vouchers at farmers markets across the country. You can use them at many locations in your area—here’s how!
If you’re eligible for this program, here’s how it works:
- Visit your local SNAP office or SNAP-authorized retailer and ask about applying for an FMNP Voucher.
- If eligible, they will give you an application form that asks some basic information about yourself as well as what types of food items (fruits or vegetables) interest you most when shopping at farmers markets. They’ll also ask if there are any foods that concern them when shopping at farmers markets (for example heart disease risk factors).
- Once completed, return all forms by mail with proof of identity such as a birth certificate; proof of address; Social Security Number (if available); proof of income; picture ID such as driver’s license; emergency contact information; date(s) last visited by a social worker or dietitian during previous 12 months – if applicable
It’s easy to apply for FMNP vouchers, and there are many ways to do it. If you’re a senior age 60 or older, please take a few minutes to download our application form or call us at 1-800-952-5111 to apply over the phone. We’ll be happy to help you get started today!