The farmer’s market is a great place to find fresh, local produce. But not everything sold at the farmer’s market is a good deal. In fact, there are some things you should never buy at the farmer’s market. Here are ten of them.
1. Don’t buy pre-packaged food: Many farmer’s markets will have a selection of pre-packaged foods, but it’s always best to choose fresh produce that hasn’t been processed.
2. Don’t buy from farmers who can’t answer your questions: A good farmers’ market vendor should be able to answer any questions you have about their products. If they can’t, it’s best to move on.
3. Don’t buy produce that looks perfect: Some farmers use chemicals to make their fruits and vegetables look perfect. It’s best to choose products that look natural and healthy.
4. Don’t buy produce that is overpriced: Farmers’ markets are typically more expensive than grocery stores, but some vendors will charge more than others. Be sure to compare prices before you make a purchase.
5. Don’t buy produce that is out of season: Seasonal produce is typically tastier and cheaper than out-of-season produce. Be sure to check what fruits and vegetables are in season before you shop.
6. Don’t buy from farmers who don’t have a good reputation: Before you buy from a farmers market vendor, be sure to do your research to make sure they have a good reputation. You can ask around or read online reviews.
7. Don’t buy meat or dairy products that aren’t refrigerated: Meat and dairy products should always be kept refrigerated, so be sure to choose vendors who have these products properly stored.
8. Don’t buy prepared food that is past its expiration date: If you’re buying prepared food from a farmers market, be sure to check the expiration date to make sure it’s still fresh.
9. Don’t buy produce that has been handled excessively: Fruits and vegetables should be handled with care, so avoid vendors who are rough with their produce.
10. Don’t buy from farmers’ markets that aren’t reputable: There are many farmers’ markets that are not reputable. Be sure to do your research to find a farmers market that is reliable and has good vendors.